Chhattisgarh Congress chief blames "internal sabotage" for poll losses
Raipur: Upset over the defeat of several of Congress`s sitting MLAs in the Chhattisgarh Assembly elections, state Congress chief Charandas Mahant blamed it on "internal sabotage" on Sunday evening.
However, he added that Congress accepted the mandate and congratulated the party`s winning candidates.
"We fought together....But 27 of our sitting MLAs in the plains lost....Prominent leaders like Rampukar Singh, Bodhram Kanwar, Premsai Singh, Amitesh Shukla, the leader of opposition Ravindra Choubey, Shakrajeet Nayak (lost)," he said.
"This is democracy and we consider it our bad luck that our big leaders about whose victories we were sure had to face defeats. It also indicates some internal sabotage. However we will do analysis," he added.
He also claimed that BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi made no impact in the state.
About the talk of sympathy wave in the aftermath of Darbha valley Naxal attack in which several Congress leaders were killed, Mahant said, "We never thought of en-cashing the sacrifice of our leaders....We gave tickets to their kin as a mark of respect."
Mahant also said that notwithstanding Assembly results, Congress would win the Lok Sabha polls next year.
Congress General Secretary and state-in-charge B K Hariprasad too claimed that result of Lok Sabha elections could not be forecast on the basis of outcome in the Assembly polls. "These elections cannot called semifinals," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...