Chhattisgarh Congress chief blames "internal sabotage" for poll losses
Raipur: Upset over the defeat of several of Congress`s sitting MLAs in the Chhattisgarh Assembly elections, state Congress chief Charandas Mahant blamed it on "internal sabotage" on Sunday evening.
However, he added that Congress accepted the mandate and congratulated the party`s winning candidates.
"We fought together....But 27 of our sitting MLAs in the plains lost....Prominent leaders like Rampukar Singh, Bodhram Kanwar, Premsai Singh, Amitesh Shukla, the leader of opposition Ravindra Choubey, Shakrajeet Nayak (lost)," he said.
"This is democracy and we consider it our bad luck that our big leaders about whose victories we were sure had to face defeats. It also indicates some internal sabotage. However we will do analysis," he added.
He also claimed that BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi made no impact in the state.
About the talk of sympathy wave in the aftermath of Darbha valley Naxal attack in which several Congress leaders were killed, Mahant said, "We never thought of en-cashing the sacrifice of our leaders....We gave tickets to their kin as a mark of respect."
Mahant also said that notwithstanding Assembly results, Congress would win the Lok Sabha polls next year.
Congress General Secretary and state-in-charge B K Hariprasad too claimed that result of Lok Sabha elections could not be forecast on the basis of outcome in the Assembly polls. "These elections cannot called semifinals," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata