With no clear winner, Delhi set for President’s rule?
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: With Arvind Kejriwal`s Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) winning 28 seats in Delhi, it has not only decimated the Congress, but has also spoilt Bharatiya Janata Party’s chances to form the government in the national capital. The BJP, which bagged 32 seats, needs 3 more seats to register a majority in the 70-member Delhi Assembly.
The election results have left many fascinating questions as to which party will form the next government. While the BJP is finding it hard to get the required numbers, the AAP led by Arvind Kejriwal has ruled out any possibility of forming an alliance to form the next government in Delhi. To the BJP’s dilemma even others have managed to bag only two seats. One seat each has gone to an Independent candidate, JD(U) and Akali Dal, which is an ally of BJP.
At present, it seems Delhi is heading towards President’s Rule as given the composition of the House, it is unlikely that BJP, which has bagged highest number of seats, would be able to prove its majority unless there are defections from the Congress or AAP which may not happen.
Dr Harsh Vardhan, BJP`s chief ministerial candidate, yesterday said he will not stake claim to form a government as his party is short of a clear majority and would prefer to sit in the opposition than indulging in any "horse trading".
"...Since I don`t have number I cannot stake my claim in forming my government in Delhi...Since I don`t have the magic number of 36, I really cannot be a part of the government formation in Delhi.
The phenomenal success of AAP – which came into existence as a political party only last year, has stung both the ruling Congress and the BJP.
After his victory, Kejriwal said: "This isn`t my victory. It`s a victory of the people of the New Delhi constituency and victory of democracy."
Debutant Kejriwal defeated three-time Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit in New Delhi constituency with a whooping 25,864 votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security