2,697 Mumbai jail inmates out on bail missing: Patil
Mumbai: As many as 2,697 inmates from Mumbai jails, out on bail, have gone missing, while 57 inmates of Pune`s Yerwada jail are absconding after release on parole, Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil said here on Wednesday.
In a written reply in the Legislative Assembly to a query by BJP MLA Girish Bapat, the Home Minister said as of June 2013, a total of 2,697 absconding accused were yet to be arrested.
While, 57 prisoners from Pune`s Yerwada jail have gone absconding in the last 10 years after being released on parole, Patil said in reply to another question.
Almost 25 percent of these absconding prisoners from Yerwada were involved in serious crimes such as murder, rape and attempt to murder, the minister said in a written reply to a question by MLAs Bapusaheb Pathare and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok