2,697 Mumbai jail inmates out on bail missing: Patil
Mumbai: As many as 2,697 inmates from Mumbai jails, out on bail, have gone missing, while 57 inmates of Pune`s Yerwada jail are absconding after release on parole, Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil said here on Wednesday.
In a written reply in the Legislative Assembly to a query by BJP MLA Girish Bapat, the Home Minister said as of June 2013, a total of 2,697 absconding accused were yet to be arrested.
While, 57 prisoners from Pune`s Yerwada jail have gone absconding in the last 10 years after being released on parole, Patil said in reply to another question.
Almost 25 percent of these absconding prisoners from Yerwada were involved in serious crimes such as murder, rape and attempt to murder, the minister said in a written reply to a question by MLAs Bapusaheb Pathare and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation