BJP workers protest outside Delhi CM`s residence; 200 detained
New Delhi: Delhi Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Vijay Goel was detained along with about 200 party workers for protesting outside Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit`s residence Sunday morning, opposing the recent hike in power tariff.
Goel, along with his supporters, was detained after his half-hour protest outside Dikshit`s official residence.
Delhi state government hiked the power tariff Friday, saying that power tariff in the national capital was the lowest in the country.
The BJP workers claimed that Delhi Police used batons against them. Deputy Commissioner of Police SBS Tyagi, however, denied the allegations.
"The protesters were detained to avoid any violent activity, and were released later in the evening," Tyagi told IANS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...