Delhi gang-rape: Accused were on prowl to satisfy their lust, says prosecution

The accused in December 16 gang-rape case were on the road in pursuance of a plan, prosecution on Monday told a court.

New Delhi: The accused in December 16 gang-rape case were on the road in pursuance of a plan and targeted the victims, including the girl, in their "quest for sexual satisfaction and loot", committing a crime which was "grotesque to say the least", prosecution on Monday told a court.

"She (the girl) has clearly given the details of the incident in the bus (in her three dying declarations)...The brutality was grotesque to say the least," Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan said in his final arguments in the December 16 gangrape-cum-murder case before Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna here.

"The modus operandi was a quest for sexual satisfaction and to loot the victims. They first enticed one Ramadhar and robbed him and threw him on road and also tried to run the bus over him.

"Similarly, they all lured the girl and the boy into the bus, making them believe that the vehicle is a public carriage and later assaulted them...," Krishnan said, while narrating the gruesome manner in which the girl was allegedly gang-raped by the six accused, who had also assaulted her male friend and dumped them on road side without clothes on a winter night.

Terming the case different from other criminal cases, Krishnan said the grievous injuries inflicted on the victim themselves explain the "brutality" and extreme torture.

He said the accused were on capital roads in pursuance of a plan and "the moment the prey was in their net, they moved on to satisfy their lust".

According to the prosecution, Ram Singh, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur, Pawan Gupta, Mukesh and also the juvenile, who was tried by the Juvenile Justice Board, had allegedly gang-raped the girl in a moving bus after luring her and her 28-year-old male friend, who was also assaulted.

The victim`s friend, a software engineer, fractured his limbs during the scuffle. The girl succumbed to her injuries on December 29, 2012 while undergoing treatment in a Singapore hospital.