Minister`s relative shot dead by Maoists in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A relative of state forest minister was allegedly shot dead by Naxals in the Maoist-hit Kanker district of Chhattisgarh, police said on Thursday.
Sumat Usendi (45), cousin brother of BJP leader and forest minister Vikram Usendi, was gunned down by ultras in Sulangi village under Bhanupratappur region of the district last night, Kanker additional superintendent of police C D Tandon said.
A group of about 20 armed Naxalites stormed into the Sulangi village, which is over 200 kms from Raipur, and asked Sumat to come out. When he came out, rebels took him to some distance from the village and killed him, the ASP said.
Soon after getting the news of the incident, security forces were immediately dispatched to the spot, the official said, adding that the body has been recovered.
"The body bears three bullets marks," he said.
Additional forces have been deployed in Sulangi to ensure safety of the relatives of Usendi and efforts are on to nab the attackers, Tandon said.
Sumat had been a member of Koyalibeda Janpad Panchayat in the past and presently his wife is its member.
The Naxals have been targeting the leaders of political parties and its workers in the Bastar region of Chhattisgarh where Assembly Elections are slated to be held by this year end.
In May this year, 29 people, including state Congress unit chief Nandkumar Patel, Mahendra Karma, Uday Mudliyar, senior party leader VC Shukla were killed and 35 others injured when Naxals ambushed their convoy in Jiram valley of Darbha region in Bastar.
The NIA (National Investigation Agency) and a state-formed judicial commission are probing the Jiram valley attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey