Over 100 girl students fall sick after eating meals at school in Tamil Nadu

Over 100 girl students fell sick after eating food served at a school in Neyveli under the midday meal scheme.

Last Updated: Jul 18, 2013, 17:26 PM IST

Neyveli: Close on the heels of 23 children in Bihar dying after consuming contaminated midday meals, over 100 girl students fell sick after eating food served at a school here under the midday meal scheme.

105 girls, students of classes VII and VIII, fell sick after consuming the eggs served in their meal at Neyveli Lignite Corporation-owned Girls` High School, school authorities said on condition of anonymity.

The students were rushed to NLC Hospital and are now out of danger, hospital`s child specialist Dr Sridharan said.

Soon after the girls vomited, with some of them fainting, distribution of food was stopped, officials said.

Twenty-three children died in Chhapra in Bihar after consuming midday meal, sparking violent protests amid suspicions by the state government that it was poisoned.

In a related incident, about 50 students of a government middle school in Madhubani district fell ill after eating food under the midday meal scheme.

PTI