Punjab govt appoints Sarabjit Singh`s daughter as Naib Tehsildar
Chandigarh: Fulfilling the promise made to the family of Sarabjit Singh, who had died after a deadly attack in a Pakistan jail, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Friday appointed his daughter Swapandeep Kaur as Naib Tehsildar.
Handing over the letter to Swapandeep Kaur at Jalandhar after her appointment as the revenue official, the Chief Minister said that Sarabjit Singh was a "national martyr as he had suffered endless agonies in the Pakistani jail for being an Indian".
Badal, according to an official release, said that the appointment of Swapandeep Kaur as Naib Tehsildar was a humble tribute from the state government "in recognition to Sarabjit`s supreme sacrifice for the national cause".
"We have fulfilled our moral duty as it was a basic responsibility of every government to respect the heroes who had laid down their life for the national cause," he added.
Extending his best wishes to Swapandeep Kaur, the Chief Minister hoped that she would perform her duty with utmost sincerity and dedication.
The Chief Minister had announced to offer government job to Swapandeep Kaur at a prayer function held in memory of Sarabjit Singh and subsequently the Cabinet had given approval for it on May 28 this year.
49-year-old Sarabjit died of cardiac arrest in a Pakistani hospital on May 2 after being comatose for nearly a week following a brutal assault by fellow inmates in a high- security jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter