Rs 2.12 cr seized ahead of Karnataka Lok Sabha by-polls
Bangalore: Nine persons were on Sunday arrested by police who seized Rs 2.12 crore, allegedly being transported to Bangalore Rural and Mandya Lok Sabha constituencies, where bypolls were scheduled for August 21.
"We intercepted two vehicles heading towards Kengeri in Bangalore Rural district and seized the unaccounted cash in the denominations of Rs 1000 and Rs 500," they said.
The accused, residents of the city, were booked under various sections of the CrPC and IPC, police said, adding, they were investigating the case with income tax officials to find out the trail of the cash.
The bypolls are being held following the resignations of JD(S) MPs H D Kumaraswamy and N Cheluvaraiswamy after getting elected to legislative assembly in the May five elections.
Kumaraswamy`s wife Anitha Kumaraswamy and C S Puttaraju are JD(S) candidates for Bangalore Rural and Mandya Lok Sabha seats respectively. They are being challenged by ruling Congress candidates D K Suresh Kumar and Kannada film actor Ramya respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened