Shobhaa De`s comments frivolous; Maharashtra will stay united: Prithviraj Chavan
Mumbai: Terming socialite Shobhaa De`s tweet suggesting separate statehood for Mumbai as "frivolous", Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Thursday said the state will remain united.
"The comments are frivolous and shouldn`t be taken seriously... Neither Mumbai nor Vidarbha will be separated from Maharashtra," the chief minister said here.
"Unity is our strength," he said.
Meanwhile, Shiv Sena activists held protests outside De`s house in South Mumbai today.
In the wake of bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, De had tweeted that "Maharashtra and Mumbai??? Why not? Mumbai has always fancied itself as an independent entity, anyway. This game has countless possibilities".
The tweet has raised hackles of Shiv Sena and Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS).
While Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut demanded criminal action against De, Raj Thackeray launched personal attack against the noted columnist.
De has refused to apologise or withdraw her comments.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Watch: Amateur footage of a boy falling from Mumbai local train
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma