Shobhaa De`s comments frivolous; Maharashtra will stay united: Prithviraj Chavan
Mumbai: Terming socialite Shobhaa De`s tweet suggesting separate statehood for Mumbai as "frivolous", Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Thursday said the state will remain united.
"The comments are frivolous and shouldn`t be taken seriously... Neither Mumbai nor Vidarbha will be separated from Maharashtra," the chief minister said here.
"Unity is our strength," he said.
Meanwhile, Shiv Sena activists held protests outside De`s house in South Mumbai today.
In the wake of bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, De had tweeted that "Maharashtra and Mumbai??? Why not? Mumbai has always fancied itself as an independent entity, anyway. This game has countless possibilities".
The tweet has raised hackles of Shiv Sena and Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS).
While Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut demanded criminal action against De, Raj Thackeray launched personal attack against the noted columnist.
De has refused to apologise or withdraw her comments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway