Society in Decay – Fact File
According to a 2007 report, 27,80,559 persons were arrested under IPC and 40,87,246 persons were arrested under special and local laws.
• According to a 2007 report, 27,80,559 persons were arrested under IPC and 40,87,246 persons were arrested under special and local laws.
• As per a survey done in 2011, 2,19,142 crimes against women were reported.
• In Madhya Pradesh, 3425 cases of rape was registered in 2012. Overall in the country, incidences of rape rose by 2.96 percent in 2012 over the previous year.
• Total number of crime related complaints registered in the country figured at 2,27,59,714.
• Kerala is the most crime-prone city in India and Kochi the most dangerous. Kerala has a crime rate of 424.1, more than double the national average of 187.6.
• Out of the total 888 juvenile murder cases reported in the country in 2011, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh share were 16.3% and 12.6%.
• As per the 2011 census, population of children below 6 years was at 158.8 million in India. Nearly 40 % of these children were said to be undernourished, that is more than 63 million children.
• According to a survey, there are 7.5 crore drug addicts in India.
• It is estimated that there are about 6.25 crore alcoholics, 90 lakh cannabis, 2.5 lakhs opiates and nearly 10 lakh illicit drug users in the country.
• India continues to be among the world`s most corrupt nation.
• The total amount of money involved in various scams in India over the last 12 years, i.e. since 1992, is estimated to be over Rs 80 lakh crore (Rs 80 trillion).
• About 54 percent Indians say they had to grease the palms of authorities to get things done.
• About 56 percent accused in rape cases were below the age of 25.
Compiled by Praveen PJ