U`khand seeks Rs 13,800 cr for reconstruction work
New Delhi: Uttarakhand Wednesday sought Rs 13,800 crore from the Centre for reconstruction and relief work in the flood-ravaged state at the first meeting of the Cabinet Committee on the issue and claimed to have got an assurance from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in this regard.
The Cabinet Committee discussed the issue of compensation and rehabilitation in the state with Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna saying that his government has decided to declare the 5400 people, who are still missing after the flash flood tragedy, as "presumed dead" and give them compensation.
The missing people will, however, not been given death certificates.
"5400 people are still missing. Out of these 924 are from the state. These are presumed to be dead and Rs 5 lakh cheque each will be given to their family members. The Finance Minister said that the LIC should be asked to expedite their insurance claims as was done during tsunami," Bahuguna said.
The Committee chaired by the Prime Minister has senior ministers A K Antony, Sharad Pawar, P Chidambaram, Ghulam Nabi Azad, Sushilkumar Shinde, Oscar Fernandes, Kapil Sibal, Girija Vyas, Jairam Ramesh and Harish Rawat as members.
Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Bahuguna and National Disaster Management Authority vice chairman M Shashidhar Reddy are the permanent invitees.
The committee has been tasked with providing broad guidance to reconstruction and rehabilitation efforts in Uttarakhand, and take such decisions, as may be required.
Singh has already announced Rs 1,000 crore for disaster relief measures in flood-devastated parts of the state.
Bahuguna said that he got a "favourable response" from the Centre for the sanction of funds of Rs 13800 crore and that Singh assured all help will be provided to the state.
He said according to Singh and Chidambaram the Asian Development Bank and World Bank "will find ways and means" for it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo