BJP MP Meenakshi Lekhi calls for unique ID for defence equipment
New Delhi: BJP MP Meenakshi Lekhi on Tuesday called for implementation of NATO like numbering of defence equipments in the inventory of Indian armed forces, and highlighted that this will result in a 30 per cent decrease in procurements.
Raising the issue in the Lok Sabha during Zero Hour, Lekhi said: "Unique Identification (UID) is something we are using for human beings, but it is needed also for military equipments."
She said that many equipments in the Army, Navy and the Air Force are common with very large inventory.
"NATO standardised process has NSN (National Stock Number). We do not use numbers and our standardisation process is a problem. If we use bureau methods of efficient management of inventory, we will decrease our procurement by 30 per cent," she said.
The National Stock Number (NSN) is a 13-digit code recognised by all NATO countries, including the US Department of Defense, identifying all the "standardised material items of supply".
"We go on buying, making purchase of parts that are already available. People who have been working on this particular project need not be shifted, the project should be completed and some senior people be involved so that we can manage the inventory better and reduce our procurement," she said.
As per the National Codification Bureau of India, procurement costs can come down by nearly 30 per cent by streamlining process of procurement and efficiently managing the stocks with such identification numbers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users