Health benefits of oregano
Zee Media Bureau
Oregano is a herb of the mint family with an aromatic, warm and slightly bitter taste. Other than being an important culinary herb, oregano is also used for medicinal purposes.
Here are a few health benefits of the herb:
1. Due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties, oregano is effective against bacterial and fungal infections. It is also effective against yeast-based infections like vaginitis and oral thrush.
2. The antioxidants present in the herb helps slow cell deterioration, thus slowing the process of ageing.
3. Helps boost immune system as oregano leaves are a good source of manganese, iron and Vitamin A.
4. Oregano is a good source of vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps ease irritation of the gums.
5. Thymol and carvacol compounds in oregano aid digestion and treats stomach upsets.
6. Relieves menstrual cramps.
7. Oregano herbs are useful in treating respiratory problems.