Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Turmeric has been on the Indian food menu since eons. It is widely used in Indian cooking. Also known as `Haldi`, has substantial health benefits and medicinal properties that can fight diseases like cancer, diabetes and inflammation.
Curcumin is Turmeric’s major component, which is responsible for the spice`s yellow colour and its therapeutic effects.
Here are a few health benefits of the ‘wonder’ Indian spice:
- Optimum dose of turmeric is highly effective in soothing gastric inflammation and ulceration.
- Consuming curcumin also repairs skin damage caused by radiation therapy for cancer.
- Turmeric reduces the risk of blood clots and prevents build up of plaque in the arteries, which helps in the battle against stroke and other clot-related problems.
- Turmeric helps to prevent prostate cancer.
- Turmeric helps a lot in treating both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Because Turmeric helps in moderation of insulin level, it is useful in the treatment of diabetes.
- Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and hence helps in natural healing of wounds.
- There are many key components in turmeric that help in aiding digestion.