New Delhi: Peppermint is an herb that is used in different types of products. It is not just used as a flavouring ingredient, but the ancient remedy of peppermint oil is also used in modern medicines today.
The botanical name of peppermint is mentha piperita and it is distilled from the leaves of the peppermint plant. The oil of peppermint is clear with a slight tinge of yellow.
Peppermint is an aromatic herb that has a vast array of uses like:
- It is a natural pain reliever and helps in treatment for irritable bowel syndrome.
- Peppermint oil is widely used for skin care. The menthol present in it helps in cooling tired skin, brightens up the face and helps to control excess oil production.
- Massaging several drops of peppermint oil directly onto the hair scalp can help to promote hair growth.
- Because of its soothing effect, it is used in many lip balms and chapsticks as it nourishes the lips.
- Peppermint oil has powerful antiseptic properties and hence it is widely used in many toothpastes and mouthwashes.
Please note that Peppermint oil is very strong if used in purest form, thus, it is best to dilute it with a carrier oil like avocado, sweet almond or olive oils.