Woman operated upon in torch light in Bihar hospital dies, family cries medical negligence

The distraught family has blamed the administration for her death. "We hold the administration and their negligence responsible for her death," they cried.

Woman operated upon in torch light in Bihar hospital dies, family cries medical negligence

SAHARSA: A woman in Bihar lost her life soon after she was operated upon in torch light at Sadar Hospital in Saharsa in Bihar. Recalling the incident, the family of the woman said that they kept giving an assurance that everything was fine but referred her to another hospital in Patna.

"We weren't satisfied with her treatment. So we admitted her to a private hospital. They kept saying she's fine and made us wait for two days. Suddenly they asked us to take her to Patna where they said she has broken bones and internal injuries," Omkar, a relative of the woman said. 

The distraught family has blamed the administration for her death. "We hold the administration and their negligence responsible for her death," they cried.

No case has been registered in connection with the incident yet.

A video of the surgery, released by news agency ANI had gone viral where it could be seen that the operation is being conducted in torch light as there was no electricity in the hospital. The video shows the patient on a stretcher in an unconscious state, with many people gathered around her while stitches are being provided. 

The man was seen operating upon the patient wearing a khaki shirt instead of a white apron.

Reports said that there was no facility of a generator at the hospital and hence the doctors were compelled to carry out the surgery in torch light. The incident comes days after a patient was operated upon in mobile phone torchlight in Khagaria.

The hospital has not issued any clarification till now.