Quick doc tips to ensure safe Holi for you!
Zee Research Group/ Delhi
It’s ‘Holi’ all over, the time for celebration and to fill your life with colors and loads of happiness. But it is also extremely necessary to play a safe ‘Holi’ as the colors might have serious effects on your health. Here is a quick compilation of recommendations by health experts on precautions to be taken before you start playing Holi. Expert Tips:1. Dr. Amarendra Kumar, Dermatologist at Dermaclinix, Delhi
• Before going to play Holi, you should apply moisturizer on your skin.
• Use herbal colors and natural colors prepared from vegetables and flowers.
• Avoid usage of paints and varnishes as these can damage your skin.
• Avoid the contact of colors with eyes as it can have adverse effect on eye sight leading to the loss of complete vision at times.
• After playing Holi, while you are taking a bath, don’t try to scrub your skin vigorously as it might damage your skin.
• Try to wear full sleeve clothes as colors will get absorbed.2. Dr. Rishi Parashar, Senior dermatologist at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi
• Apply sunscreen and moisturizer all over the body as it will help the colors not to stick to the body.
• Protect your scalp by wearing a cap and apply hair oil before playing holi as it will not allow colors to stick and damage the hair.
• Preferably wear dark glasses to protect your eyes.
• Wear cotton clothes as it will help in tossing away the colors.
• Do not allow colors to go inside your mouth as it might damage your teeth.3. Dr. Verinder Anand, Consultant, Internal Medicine, Moolchand Medcity
• Wear comfortable clothes that cover you up to protect maximum parts of your body from colors.
• Apply oil-based moisturizer/baby oil all over the body to prevent colors affecting your skin directly.
• Apply Vaseline/petroleum jelly around your nails, feet, and elbows behind your ears to avoid color clogging.
• Use a lip balm to protect your lips.
• To prevent hair damage, apply generous layer of oil and leave-in conditioner before you step out. Tie your hair to avoid excess damage.
• Before going on a Holi party, ensure that you have a good breakfast. Try to have salad and fruits during the day that you don’t suffer from constipation.
• Wear sunglasses to safeguard from colored water thrown directly from pichkari or pistols which may lead to burning, irritation, pain and sometimes serious eye injuries.