Rahul Gandhi`s redemptive speech
Where was this Rahul Gandhi for eight long years? He was passionate, articulate and connected with the country like no politician had in a long time.
His instincts seemed decent and sound and besides the Congress faithful, who were predictably moved to tears, lots of mango people who had given up the idea of the Congress heir as a blank screen, were pleasantly surprised.
Trouble is one speech does not make for leadership. Is Rahul Gandhi now prepared for the long haul, an engagement with ideas and policy, and articulating it to a pesky 24/7 media which he has shunned with imperiousness till date.
Objectively, while the passion was there, can Rahul Gandhi really portray himself as a rebel against the lal batti syndrome while having ridden in that particular limousine all his life? While, a distancing act from the battered UPA government is natural, does it really wash?
I was happy with what I heard but longed to hear the big idea that would transform India. What Rahul Gandhi believes regarding economy, the transformation of India with the millennial which the Congress party is still grappling with, what changes he wants to take the country forward.
So far Rahul Gandhi has been an occasional politician, a kind of hobbyist indulging in pet projects such as the youth congress and Uttar Pradesh. He has not shown the killer instinct, ambition and hunger of a 24/7 politician.
His repeated vanishing acts, and far from sterling track record, has to be considered against the desperation of the Congress party which sees him as its last ace to hold on to power.
He is now effectively the number one in the Congress party and the final authority and cannot make mistakes. It is to be said to the credit of Sonia Gandhi that despite her handicaps she has never put a foot wrong in politics. Junior Gandhi will have to emulate his mother in this.
While he has left the Congress and the country hungry for more, let`s hope the BJP finally gets it very delayed act together, or prepare for early elections and a new term for the UPA.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
comments powered by Disqus
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani