Shahrukh and Mamata - IPL circus
If you needed any proof of the cringe making vulgarity that is the IPL look no further than the joint spectacle of Mamata Banerjee and Shahrukh Khan, as the two put up a Bonnie and Clyde celebration.
It seemed as if India had won the World Cup or got 100 medals in the Olympics - but since the word Kolkata would not be involved, kolaveri didi would not care.
We were earlier treated to the unedifying sight of a 47-year old superstar seemingly in the throes of a mid- life crisis flashing his black underwear while he turned cartwheels. Today the duo, along with several motley cricketers for hire, turned cricket in to a Roman circus.
Till date we have had spot fixing, molestation, sexism and a brawl. Familiar ground for both Banerjee and Khan.
But, to see the governor of Bengal - former spook - M K Narayanan with a poker face felicitate a private leagues victory was a sorry spectacle. A bit like Shahrukh Khan descending from the silver screen to play Hanuman in the neighbourhood Ramayana.
Since both bread and power is in short supply in West Bengal chief minister, Mamata Banerjee decided to turn the IPL in to a state branch of the Trinamool Congress complete with a ritual lathi charge.
Wonder how long people will be fooled with the IPL circus? Somewhere, while he erstwhile prince of Kolkata Sourav Ganguly sobbed, Lalit Modi must have smiled.
comments powered by Disqus
- DNA: Boris Becker declared bankrupt over long-standing debt
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Narendra Modi conveys his wishes to the nation on Eid
- Separatist leader Yasin Malik arrested in Srinagar
- Boys try to hit SHO by car in Gurugram - Watch
- EC disqualifies MP minister over incorrect filing of election expenditure
- WATCH: Jason Roy becomes first man ever to be dismissed for obstructing field in T20Is
- Adam Gilchrist casts doubt on MS Dhoni, Yuvraj Singh's continuity till 2019 World Cup
- The Kapil Sharma Show: Kiku Sharda welcomes Chandan Prabhakar back with a heartfelt message!
- Eman Ahmed, once dubbed as world’s heaviest woman, can now sit and eat on her own
- Presidential election: Sushma Swaraj tweets 2013 Lok Sabha video, says 'This is how Meira Kumar treated Leader of Opposition'