Shahrukh and Mamata - IPL circus
If you needed any proof of the cringe making vulgarity that is the IPL look no further than the joint spectacle of Mamata Banerjee and Shahrukh Khan, as the two put up a Bonnie and Clyde celebration.
It seemed as if India had won the World Cup or got 100 medals in the Olympics - but since the word Kolkata would not be involved, kolaveri didi would not care.
We were earlier treated to the unedifying sight of a 47-year old superstar seemingly in the throes of a mid- life crisis flashing his black underwear while he turned cartwheels. Today the duo, along with several motley cricketers for hire, turned cricket in to a Roman circus.
Till date we have had spot fixing, molestation, sexism and a brawl. Familiar ground for both Banerjee and Khan.
But, to see the governor of Bengal - former spook - M K Narayanan with a poker face felicitate a private leagues victory was a sorry spectacle. A bit like Shahrukh Khan descending from the silver screen to play Hanuman in the neighbourhood Ramayana.
Since both bread and power is in short supply in West Bengal chief minister, Mamata Banerjee decided to turn the IPL in to a state branch of the Trinamool Congress complete with a ritual lathi charge.
Wonder how long people will be fooled with the IPL circus? Somewhere, while he erstwhile prince of Kolkata Sourav Ganguly sobbed, Lalit Modi must have smiled.
comments powered by Disqus
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'