Shahrukh and Mamata - IPL circus
If you needed any proof of the cringe making vulgarity that is the IPL look no further than the joint spectacle of Mamata Banerjee and Shahrukh Khan, as the two put up a Bonnie and Clyde celebration.
It seemed as if India had won the World Cup or got 100 medals in the Olympics - but since the word Kolkata would not be involved, kolaveri didi would not care.
We were earlier treated to the unedifying sight of a 47-year old superstar seemingly in the throes of a mid- life crisis flashing his black underwear while he turned cartwheels. Today the duo, along with several motley cricketers for hire, turned cricket in to a Roman circus.
Till date we have had spot fixing, molestation, sexism and a brawl. Familiar ground for both Banerjee and Khan.
But, to see the governor of Bengal - former spook - M K Narayanan with a poker face felicitate a private leagues victory was a sorry spectacle. A bit like Shahrukh Khan descending from the silver screen to play Hanuman in the neighbourhood Ramayana.
Since both bread and power is in short supply in West Bengal chief minister, Mamata Banerjee decided to turn the IPL in to a state branch of the Trinamool Congress complete with a ritual lathi charge.
Wonder how long people will be fooled with the IPL circus? Somewhere, while he erstwhile prince of Kolkata Sourav Ganguly sobbed, Lalit Modi must have smiled.
comments powered by Disqus
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!