Sick of Flexi Beards, Needed - A Leader
Love Anna Hazare or hate him, politicians in India who had an unspoken smug contract on corruption - you don't tell me I am naked and I won't point to your bared posterior - have now to deal with it as a central issue on the agenda.
And, when Mayawati starts sacking four ministers accused of corruption, tickets in UP and Punjab are actually being cut because the seekers have proven corruption charges against them, then finally corruption is a key issue.
Which is why the distinguished gentlemen in our hallowed political gallery such as the honourable Lalu Yadav, Mulayam Singh Yadav and of course the youth icon Mr Rahul Gandhi, who instead of giving us a vision of tomorrow unfortunately practices the tired politics of cliché and old Congress vote banks with a flexi beard to match. The aforementioned flexi beard does not exist when he is supping with the American ambassador in Delhi, a stubble is evident across the cheeks when it is an alfresco meal at a Dalit household and when in Deoband talking of the rusty slogan of Muslim quotas along with trusty Raja Digvijay Singh the beard is in full flow.
This unlikely trio is together to play old politics.
Strange isn't it, that the BJP also plays coy on the issue of the CBI's independence while obligingly going ballistic on the minority quota issue in the Lokpal bill.
Quite a pact across the political spectrum to derail a legislation.
And, while Anna and his team are also mere mortals like us and prone to hypocrisy and a blinkered eye view, they are not maximalists as they are being painted. They have toned down their position a lot from the inclusion of the judiciary and many other things. The one that team India cannot compromise on is the CBI. We need an independent investigative agency in the era of the 2G scam, CWG scam, Adarsh and many other ulcers waiting to pop. While happily congratulating each other on being the world's largest democracy, please do remember that in the USA a president Richard Nixon was turfed out of office and a second President Bill Clinton was impeached. Would it be allowed to happen in India?
Genuine democracy with checks and balances means that be you so high, the law is above you in the words of Lord Dennings.
This is what the canny politicians, smug in the embrace of their vote banks and sleeping silently while wringing their hands and saying what can I do it is the compulsion of coalition politics at the loot of India, are worried about.
So they will appoint tainted Thomas and say we are trying to improve the system. Allow me to vomit as I listen to this pap.
Anna may be melodramatic talking about a second freedom struggle and is clearly surrounded by an ambitious pompous bunch. But, if you don't like the messenger, the message is vital.
We cannot afford this complicity with corruption anymore. It is sick and, despite your view of Karma, not preordained. It has to change.
This politics of quotas, vote banks and geriatric leaders without vision has to go. And, it has to go the democratic way. Remember when you press that button.
comments powered by Disqus
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon