Highest Shiva temple to India's biggest dam - Few interesting facts about Uttarakhand
Uttarakhand Assembly Elections 2017 are scheduled to be held in single phase on February 15. The two national parties Bharatiya Janata Party and the Congress are the main political contenders in the hill state.
-The people of Uttarakhand believe in change of guard every five years. Ever since, the hill state was carved out in the year 2000, the people have voted alternatively for Congress and BJP.
-Uttarakhand – the land of lords - is the 27th state of the country. It was carved out of Uttar Pradesh on November 09, 2000.
-The hill state, famous for its snow-peaked Himalayas and many famous holy sites like the Gangotri, Kedarnath, Badrinath, Haridwar and many others, has seen eight chief ministers in last 16 years. Interestingly, no political personality has been able to stick to the CM post for a full five-year term.
-According to a report published in elections.in as many as 1,100 villages in state are complete empty, while only handful of residents are there in 664 villages in the Garhwal region.
-Tungnath temple: It is the highest Shiva temple in the world. Renowned as one of the Panch Kedars, this rocky terrain boasts of the obeisance of Shiva, the destroyer lord.
-Nanda Devi, which lies in Uttarakhand, is the second highest mountain in India.
-The first agricultural university of India Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology was built in Uttarakhand.
-India's biggest dam Tehri Dam is located on the Bhagirathi River in Uttarakhand. Nanda Devi -National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
-Brahma Kamal is the state flower of Uttarakhand.
-Jim Corbett National Park - The Oldest National Park of India – was established in the hill state in 1936.
-It is the only state in India with Sanskrit as one of its official languages.
-Ruskin Bond, the award-winning Indian author of British descent, lives in Mussoorie.
comments powered by Disqus
- Bihar Board 10th result 2017: BSEB 10th result 2017/Matric result 2017 declared, check biharboard.ac.in; overall pass percentage is 50.12
- NEET Result 2017: NEET exam result 2017 declared, check cbseresults.nic.in, cbseneet.nic.in; Navdeep Singh from Punjab tops
- Countdown begins as ISRO set to launch Cartosat-2 with 30 nano satellites Friday
- BJP leader Bandi Ramesh hacked to death in Karnataka's Ballari
- Allahabad High Court quashes Uttar Pradesh govt order, reinstates six Shia Waqf Board members