Is Facebook phone in the pipeline?
New Delhi: Social networking giant Facebook has invited journalists to the unveiling of what it calls its "new home on Android”, stoking fresh speculations about the launch of its own phone.
The event scheduled for next Thursday will take place at the company's Menlo Park, California headquarters.
Though Facebook has not provided further details about the event, the online media is abuzz with conjectures of the possible launch of a phone.
Facebook has long said it would not make its own phone. Rather, such a phone would likely integrate Facebook deeper into the phone's software.
Citing unnamed sources, the tech blog TechCrunch says Facebook Inc. will launch a modified version of Android that embeds Facebook deeply into the operating system, on a phone made by HTC Corp.
A Facebook rival, Google Inc., makes the Android software that Facebook and HTC would be using under that scenario. Google makes the software available on an open-source basis, meaning others including rivals are free to adapt it for their needs. Amazon.com Inc. does just that in modifying Android to run its Kindle tablet computers.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cortana for Android available for public beta in US
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Vs Redmi 2 Prime: Specification comparisons
- Middle class woes to continue, wholesale onion price shoots up to Rs 57 per kg
- Alleged land encroachment in Greater Noida: HC asks DM to decide representation in 3 months
- Watch: Review of Mahindra TUV300