Smartphone makers continue to bet on Android OS
Berlin: The Samsung-Apple ruling might have contained the speed at which phone makers were going with the Android technology but they are continuing to bet on the Google's platform despite the ruling, says a news wire.
Android is used in more than two thirds of smart phones.
Some phonemakers are quietly exploring alternatives to the Android operating system implicated in the Samsung-Apple ruling, despite their public pronouncements they are sticking with the technology, reported the wire.
Last week, a US court ruled Samsung's Android devices were violating Apple patents - a major blow to the leading mobile software platform because it could lead to sales bans and high licensing fees.
The impact could also hit smaller vendors that use Android like HTC, ZTE, and Sony.
Huawei HWT.UL, Sony, Lenovo and ZTE - which all use Android extensively - told the news wire, they were continuing to bet on the Google's platform despite the ruling.
"(The ruling) is not relevant to what we are doing," said Chris Edwards, chief of ZTE's business development in Europe.
But as the mobile market matures and more patent cases look likely, some makers are looking at the alternatives.
Samsung, which has used a number of platforms but now mostly uses Android, announced a new phone running on Microsoft's new Windows Phone 8 software at a consumer technology conference on Wednesday, sneaking ahead of a hotly-anticipated launch of a Nokia-Windows phone due next week.
Android was used in 68 percent of all smartphones sold last quarter, with Samsung making almost half of them, while Microsoft had 3 percent market share.
The balance of power is unlikely to shift quickly as this season's new phones were all made before the ruling.
Sony launched three Android phones this week at IFA, Europe's largest consumer electronics fair. Chinese phone maker Huawei launched four.
With Agency Inputs