Marco Angelo D'Souza
Chinese handset maker Xiaomi, along with the launch its flagship Mi 4 smartphone in India, had made a slew of announcements. Among all the announcements, the one garnering attention is the MIUI 6 operating system.
The company has said that it will also be rolling out the MIUI 6 operating system to some of their older models in the market.
The new UI will be available as an OTA (over-the-air) update for the Redmi 1S, Redmi Note 4 and Note 4G and the Mi 3. But, if your impatient to try it out, you can also manually download the UI from their official forum.
The following are the main highlights:
- Xiaomi’s new operating system, MIUI 6, shipping with their new flagship smartphone the Mi 4 (going on sale Feb 10)
- MIUI 6 OTA update for Mi 3, Redmi Note, and Redmi 1S within a week
- New design with lots of animation, colour and convenience features
- Customisable priority for notifications, keep your status bar empty
- Redesigned mail client with chat bubble view for email threads and overarching list of all attachments
- 64GB version of Mi 4 to come soon
- Xiaomi "home ecosystem" devices also coming to India soon
- Aim to build from the current 5 to 100 exclusive India service centres by 2015-end
- Next generation of MiTV to come to India
The official website says that MIUI 6 introduces a range of powerful features like mark unknown numbers, access free Wi-Fi with WiWide, and use the IVR system.
“MIUI has a reliable built-in Security Center that takes full advantage of advanced security technologies from Tencent, Kingsoft and LBE. This complete security mechanism ensures perfect privacy protection for users, and optimizes battery and data usage,” it further notes.