New Delhi: CBI was Tuesday given over two weeks additional time "reluctantly" by a Delhi court to submit documents sought from it in connection with a charge sheet against Airtel, Vodafone and others for alleged irregularities in the allocation of additional spectrum to them during NDA regime.
The court, which had on February 11 listed the matter for Tuesday for consideration of the charge sheet, fixed the case for further proceedings on March 8 after the prosecutor said they need more time to work on the court's query.
The court had earlier directed the CBI to place before it documents relating to resolution passed by three firms, including Airtel and Vodafone, for seeking additional spectrum during the NDA regime.
During the brief hearing Tuesday, CBI prosecutor K K Goyal told Special CBI Judge O P Saini that they are working on the court's query and they need some more time to go through the documents.
"We are doing the work as per the court's order. We need some more time. We are working on your query," the CBI said.
On this, the judge said, "A short adjournment has been sought by public prosecutor for further perusal of the record. Reluctantly allowed. Put up for consideration on the charge sheet on March 8."
The CBI had on December 21 last year filed a charge sheet in which former Telecom Secretary Shyamal Ghosh and three telecom firms -- Bharti Cellular Ltd, Hutchison Max Pvt Ltd (now known as Vodafone India Ltd) and Sterling Cellular Ltd (now known as Vodafone Mobile Service Ltd) -- have been named as accused.
In the 57-page charge sheet, the CBI has booked all the accused for the offences of criminal conspiracy (120-B) of the IPC and under provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
First Published: Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 19:19