Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: New pictures of the world's longest aircraft were made public today as the aircraft is set to undertake its first UK test flight in a few weeks time.
These are the few interesting facts about the aircraft called Airlander 10, which has created a record of becoming the longest aircraft in the world:
1) Airlander 10 is part plane, part airship and part helicopter, is 92m long - around 15m longer than the biggest passenger jets.
2) The British firm Hybrid Air vehicles (HAV) have designed the craft to stay airborne for up to three weeks using helium.
3) The vessel is able to travel at a speed of 92mph.
4) HAV will unveil the aircraft, standing at 26m high and 44m wide, in a First World War aircraft hangar in Bedfordshire on Monday.
5) The aircraft will undergo its first test flight in a few weeks' time.
6) The aircraft is heavier than air, it can land without tethers on a variety of surfaces, including water and ice.
7) Airlander 10 was first developed in 2009 for the US government as a long-endurance surveillance aircraft but its manufacture was hindered by defence cut-backs.
8) In future, the aircraft can be employed for surveillance, communications, delivering aid and even passenger travel, transport 50 tonnes of freight.
9) Airlander 10 is stated to be silent and emits no pollution.
10) The firm is hoping to build 12 Airlanders a year by 2018.
With PTI inputs