2G scam: JPC asks probe agencies to submit status reports
New Delhi: All agencies probing the 2G scam have been asked by the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) examining telecom policies to inform it about the progress in the investigation into the alleged irregularities in spectrum allocations.
"Investigating agencies will be asked to come before the committee to inform about the progress made by them in the 2G
scam probe periodically," JPC Chairman P C Chacko told reporters here.
The CBI, Enforcement Directorate and Central Board for Direct Taxes (CBDT) are probing various aspects of the alleged irregularities in the 2G spectrum allocation. The probe is being monitored by the Supreme Court.
The CBDT made a presentation before the JPC on the status of its investigation last week and now the CBI will be asked to update the Committee on the progress it has made in the 2G scam probe.
"We want to know first hand on the progress in the investigation from the agencies," Chacko said.
The JPC Tuesday recorded the evidence of former Telecom Secretary Shyamal Ghosh during whose tenure the now infamous
'first come first serve' policy was followed for allocation of Wireless in Local Loop (WLL) licenses.
Many telecom operators violated the guidelines for WLL by introducing roaming facilities beyond the short distance charging area (SDCA), Ghosh told the JPC.
Ghosh said WLL was introduced to make mobile services affordable and had helped in decreasing mobile tariffs.
"Yes," replied Chacko to a question whether Reliance and Tatas were prime beneficiaries of the WLL services