Airbus deal: CBI writes again to Aviation Min for sanction
New Delhi: The CBI has yet again written to the Civil Aviation Ministry seeking sanction to prosecute six of its officials for alleged irregularities in the over Rs 8,000 crore Airbus deal for supplying of 43 aircraft to erstwhile Indian Airlines in 2005.
The issue of granting sanction to the prosecution has been deferred for the last four months and the Aviation Ministry had sent back the file to the CBI in January saying the agency may reconsider its decision to file an FIR against its officials, including one of the rank of Additional Secretary, a move spurned by the investigating body, official sources said.
A fresh reminder had been sent along with excerpts of some of the rulings of Supreme Court where delay by competent authorities had been severely criticised, the sources said.
The aviation ministry had reasoned out that the responsibility on the officials was not as big as projected by the CBI in its findings but the CBI wrote back saying that it stuck to its findings and the allegations needed a proper probe for which sanction may be accorded against the six officers which included an officer of the rank of Additional Secretary.
The CBI had registered a preliminary enquiry on January 14, 2010, against unknown persons of the Ministry of Civil Aviation and initial enquiry has been completed in connection with alleged irregularities and illegalities in purchase of 43 aircraft from M/s Airbus Industries.