New Delhi: CBI Thursday said in a court here that it was not dropping Tina Ambani as a prosecution witness as her husband and Reliance ADAG Chairman Anil Ambani has not supported its case in the 2G spectrum scam.
"It is true that I had said if Anil Ambani gives all the answers, I will not examine her (Tina). But, the witness (Anil) has not supported the prosecution case and so, I need to cross examine her," Special Public Prosecutor U U Lalit told the court after some of the lawyers for the accused reminded him that he had earlier said Tina may be dropped as witness.
Tina Ambani, who was summoned for tomorrow to record her statement, had moved a plea seeking exemption from personal appearance. However, after concluding his deposition Thursday, Anil Ambani told the court that she would be appearing before it tomorrow as scheduled.
"Sir, Mrs Tina Ambani will appear tomorrow," Ambani told Special CBI Judge O P Saini when the court took up the plea for hearing.
The court, thereafter, "dismissed as withdrawn" Tina's plea for exemption from appearance.
In her plea, Tina Ambani had said that due to "prior commitments" it would not be possible for her to travel to Delhi on August 23.
CBI had, however, left it to the court to take an appropriate view on the application.
During the day, the defence counsel opposed CBI's stand of calling Tina as a witness as the agency had earlier said that it may drop her from the list if Anil Ambani gives proper answers to its questions.
Lalit, however, said he needs to cross examine Tina as a witness Anil Ambani has not supported its case Thursday.
The court had on July 19 allowed CBI's plea to make Anil and Tina Ambani as prosecution witnesses after the agency had said their testimonies may throw light on alleged investment of over Rs 990 crore by his group companies in Swan Telecom facing trial in the case along with its promoters Shahid Usman Balwa and Vinod Goenka.
It had said CBI's move to summon Ambani, his wife and 11 others as prosecution witnesses was essential for arriving at a just decision in the case.
The trial in the 2G case involves 17 accused, including three companies -- Reliance Telecom Ltd, Swan Telecom Pvt Ltd and Unitech (Wireless) Tamil Nadu Ltd.
Besides them, Former Telecom Minister A Raja, DMK MP Kanimozhi, former Telecom Secretary Siddharth Behura, Raja's erstwhile private secretary R K Chandolia, Swan Telecom promoters Shahid Usman Balwa and Vinod Goenka, Unitech Ltd MD Sanjay Chandra, three top executives of Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group, Gautam Doshi, Surendra Pipara and Hari Nair are facing trial in the case.
Directors of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd Asif Balwa and Rajiv Agarwal, Kalaignar TV Director Sharad Kumar and Bollywood producer Karim Morani are also accused in the case.
First Published: Thursday, August 22, 2013, 22:31