close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds


BPCL, Videocon discover oil in deep sea block off Brazil

Last Updated: Friday, October 12, 2012 - 20:39

New Delhi: State-owned Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd and Videocon Industries Friday said an oil discovery has been made in their deep sea block off Brazil.

Oil was struck in the BM-SEA-11 block in ultradeep waters of Sergipe-Alagoas basin, the two firms said in a separate but identical statements.

Brazil's national oil firm Petroleo Brasileiro SA or Petrobras is the operator of the block with 60 percent interest. Bharat PetroResources Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of BPCL and Videocon Industries hold the remaining 40 per cent.

The discovery well 1-SES-167, informally called 'Farfan', is located 109 kms from the city of Aracaju in water depth of 2720 meters. "The Farfan well is located 21 kms southeast of the earlier discovery well 'Barra and 10 kms north west of appraisal well 'Barra-1, respectively," the statement said.

"The well proved presence of excellent sandstone reservoirs saturated with light hydrocarbons... With gross pay thickness of 44 meters," it said.

PTI

First Published: Friday, October 12, 2012 - 20:39
comments powered by Disqus