BSNL, MTNL, ITI incurred losses worth Rs 4,893 cr
While BSNL incurred a loss of Rs 1,823 crore for 2009-10, MTNL posted a loss of Rs 2,611 crore and ITI logged in a loss of Rs 459 crore, Minister of State for Communications and IT Milind Deora said in a written reply to Lok Sabha.
"The financial figures of BSNL, MTNL and ITI for the year 2010-11 are yet to be finalised," he said.
Telecom services provider BSNL has submitted a proposal to the Department of Telecom (DoT) seeking financial help to operate commercially unviable services and it is being examined, Deora said.
Meanwhile, the Board for Reconstruction of Public Sector Enterprises (BRPSE) had recommended that MTNL -- which operates in Delhi and Mumbai -- as well as telecom equipment manufacturer ITI should be merged with BSNL, a move that will help turn around the fortunes of these companies.
Deora said the recommendations are being examined by a Committee constituted by DoT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cortana for Android available for public beta in US
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Vs Redmi 2 Prime: Specification comparisons
- Middle class woes to continue, wholesale onion price shoots up to Rs 57 per kg
- Alleged land encroachment in Greater Noida: HC asks DM to decide representation in 3 months
- Watch: Review of Mahindra TUV300