Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Fearing breach in security of customer data from ATMs, banks have initiated steps to prevent a large-scale security breach of bank' data. While the State Bank of India recalled around 6 lakh cards, Bank of Baroda, IDBI Bank, Central Bank and Andhra Bank have taken preemptive measures like replacing debit cards of many customers. The others like ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank and Yes Bank have asked customers to change their ATM PINs or use only its own ATMs for carrying out any transaction in order to avoid possibilities of ATM theft.
There is a lot that debit card holders can do to prevent ATM theft and protect one's bank related confidential information:
1. Set up SMS and email alerts service on your phone for all financial transaction. It is always safe to link your bank account to your personal mobile number which you keep with you all the time, because you will receive a transaction alert as soon as cash gets withdrawn from your bank account.
2. Monitor your bank statements regularly.
3. Update your password from time- to-time. Use anti-virus software and update them as prescribed.
4. Beware of withdrawing cash or conducting any transaction in ATMs which do not have a guard watching or are not well lit.
5. Set a daily transaction upper limit on your debit card to avoid large transactions.
6. Avoid using ATM of different banks, stick to your own bank.
7. Stand close to the ATM machine and use your body and hand to shield the keypad as you enter the PIN
8. Do not take help from strangers for using the ATM card or handling your cash
9. Press the 'Cancel' key before moving away from the ATM. Remember to take your card and transaction slip with you
10. If you take transaction slip, shred it immediately after use
11. If your ATM card is lost or stolen, report it to your card-issuing bank immediately
12. When you deposit a cheque or card into your ATM, check the credit entry in your account after a couple of days. If there is any discrepancy, report it to your bank
13. If your card gets stuck in the ATM, or if cash is not dispensed after you having keyed in a transaction,call your bank immediately
14. If you have any complaint about your ATM/Debit/Credit card transaction at an ATM, you must take it up with the bank that issued the card to you
15.Your card is for your own personal use. Do not share your PIN or card with anyone, not even your friends or family