Ficci for privatisation of CIL
Kolkata: Availability of coal has become a major concern for industry, industry chamber Ficci said on Wednesday and called for privatisation of state-owned coal giant CIL.
"Coal seems to be the monopoly of the government. Coal sector should become more competitive and Coal India should either be privatised or broken up into several independent units. A graduated and controlled break up of CIL will create competition and ease the fiscal situation," Ficci president R V Kanoria told reporters here.
He also batted for opening up of the coal sector to private players.
"Availability of coal has become a major concern for industry and has taken toll on power generation and manufacturing. The government must consider introduction of commercial mining with participation of private coal production/coal mining companies," Kanoria said.
The process of granting environment clearances was stalling exploration plans and the government must come out with a mechanism that ensures time-bound clearances of such projects, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cortana for Android available for public beta in US
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Vs Redmi 2 Prime: Specification comparisons
- Middle class woes to continue, wholesale onion price shoots up to Rs 57 per kg
- Alleged land encroachment in Greater Noida: HC asks DM to decide representation in 3 months
- Watch: Review of Mahindra TUV300