Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Liquor baron Vijay Mallya, facing a case of loan default of over Rs 9,400 crore, has resigned from Rajya Sabha, a day before Ethics Committee of the Upper House was set to recommend his expulsion.
Ethics Panel of the Upper House, which had taken up the matter, had unanimously decided in its April 25 meeting that Mallya should no longer remain a member of the House and was planning to recommend his expulsion in its meeting stipulated for Tuesday (May 3).
Here is all you need to know about Mallya's Rajya Sabha term.
- Vijay Mallya was elected to the Rajya Sabha in 2002 with the support of the Congress party and Janata Dal (Secular).
- He was elected as an independent member from Karnataka which is his home state.
- In 2010, he was re-elected for a second term, this time with the backing of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the JD(S).
- This is Mallya's second term in Rajya Sabha and it would have otherwise come to an end on July 1.
- Mallya was previously a member of the Akhila Bharata Janata Dal.
- Mallya joined the Subramanian Swamy led Janata Party in 2003 and served as its National Working President till 2010.