No delays in handing over files to CBI: CoalMin
New Delhi: The Coal Ministry has handed over more than 700 files to CBI with regards to investigation into the alleged irregularities in coal block allocation and there is no delay in giving available files to the investigating agency, Parliament was informed Monday.
"So far more than 700 files....In original have been handed over to the CBI for investigation. Further about 40 files are kept ready for handing over to the CBI....As such there is no delay in handing over the available files," Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal said in a written reply to Rajya Sabha.
However, some of the old files, primarily pertaining to applications received prior to period to 2004 are not readily available with the Ministry, he said.
"Efforts are made to make them available by writing to Coal India/Central Mine Planning & Design Institute and Ministry of Coal," the Minister added.
The Central Bureau of Investigations (CBI) has registered three Preliminary enquiry cases against alleged irregularities in coal blocks allocations to private companies during the period 2006-09 and 1993-2004 and relating to allocation of blocks to government companies.
Earlier, the Coal Ministry had deputed a joint secretary-level official to provide CBI with the missing files related to the probe in the coal block allocation scam after the agency claimed before the Public Accounts Committee that nearly 40 files were still not with it.
CBI Director Ranjit Sinha had earlier claimed before the parliamentary panel that agency's probe has slowed down as the Coal Ministry has not provided all related files.