Oil discovery by ONGC in Tamil Nadu
New Delhi: State-owned Oil & Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) has made a crude oil discovery in an exploration block in Tamil Nadu, the company's junior partner Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd (BPCL) said Tuesday.
Exploratory well 'Madanam-3' produced 115 cubic meters per day of oil and 11,500 cubic meters per day of gas in Cauvery basin block, BPCL said in a filing to the stock exchanges.
ONGC is the operator of the block CY-ONN-2002/2 with 60 per cent interest while Bharat PetroResources Ltd (BPRL), a fully owned subsidiary of BPCL, holds the remaining 40 per cent. The two had won the block in the fourth round of bidding under New Exploration Licensing Policy (NELP).
The discovery well is situated 14-km south-east of Chidambaram town in Tamil Nadu.
"Compared to earlier lower-productivity basement discoveries, Madanam-3 discovery is a major breakthrough in basement play exploration in Cauvery basin," the company said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission recommends 23.55% hike in salary for central govt employees; minimum salary set at Rs 18,000 per month
- Shocking fact of pay 'hike' in 7th Pay Commission recommendations!
- Full Report of 7th Pay Commission
- E-commerce war: Paytm Diwali sale offers 100% cashback on 25 million products
- Unbelievable! Clean and healthy meals on Indian Railways at just Rs 20