Paradip (Odisha): Land acquisition for the proposed Rs 52,000 crore Posco steel plant in Odisha's Jagatsinghpur district continued for the second day on Tuesday even as anti-project activists assembled in the vicinity for a showdown with the administration.
"Demolition of betel vines has almost reached the final stage and only 150 more vines will be demolished for which the people have given their consent. The process is continuing peacefully for the second day today," district Collector S K Mallick said.
Three teams have been formed for the operation. While two teams are engaged to dismantle betel vines, another conducted a survey to identify trees which need to be removed as part of the land acquisition process, he said.
Meanwhile, angry over resumption of land acquisition, a large number of activists held a meeting near Patna village to protest the government move.
"The collector says that demolition of betel vines has reached the final stage. We also want to tell the district administration that our fight has since reached the final stage and we will do whatever is possible to oust Posco come what may", said a leader of Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti, spearheading the agitation against the mega steel project.
He said womenfolk in the area would chase the police force from the area, while men would prevent the betel vines and trees from being felled.
Meanwhile, leaders of eight political parties are scheduled to visit the area to extend support to the activists.
District administration sources said in view of the proposed visit of political leaders, the land acquisition process had slowed down a bit today with only four betel vines demolished since morning.
Security personnel in strength had been deployed in the area to prevent any trouble.
First Published: Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 12:33