UK-based BG Group in talks to buy stake in ONGC's assets
Quotes

UK-based BG Group in talks to buy stake in ONGC's assets

Last Updated: Wednesday, September 7, 2011, 18:23
 
 Comment 0
 
UK-based BG Group in talks to buy stake in ONGC's assets
New Delhi: The UK's energy company BG Group is in talks to acquire a stake in the state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp's gas discovery block off the east coast, the company's India head Walter Simpson said Wednesday.
     
"We spoke to ONGC number of months ago... rather almost an year ago for picking up (a) stake in their oil assets... the proposal is with them," BG India President and Managing Director Walter Simpson told reporters on the sidelines of the World Energy Policy Summit here.

The Krishna Godavari basin deepsea block KG-DWN-98/2 sits next to Reliance Industries' prolific KG-D6 fields in Bay of Bengal.

ONGC has discovered 3.42 trillion cubic feet of inplace gas reserves in the block, of which 1.904 Tcf is recoverable.

Officials in the state firm said ONGC was in discussions with 3-4 foreign firms, including London stock Exchange-listed energy major BG Group with expertise to exploit deep-sea discoveries.

"We have plans to start production from this block in 2016-17," said an ONGC official.

Cairn India has 10 percent stake in the block while ONGC owns the remaining 90 percent.
     
ONGC has submitted Declaration of Commerciality for the Northern and Southern Discovery Area in the block. The northern part of the block has seven finds which it plans to tie-up with two other gas discoveries in an adjacent block.

Once sector regulator DGH approves the commercial viability of the finds, ONGC will make a formal field development plan (FDP) outlining the specifics of producing gas from the find.

ONGC has tentatively pegged the investment required for bringing to production the Padmawati, Kanakadurga, Annapurna, N-1, D/KT, U, A, W and E gas finds in the Northern Discovery Area (NDA) of the block at over USD 7.7 billion.

In the southern part is the ultra deep sea UD-1 find that will be developed separately.

Simpson said BG India plans to drill more well on the Panna/Mukta and Tapti oil and gas fields off the west coast. BG has 30 percent interest in the fields where ONGC has 40 percent and Reliance Industries the remaining 30 percent.

"We are looking at drilling more wells in the PMT fields," he said.

BG Group plans to invest USD 500 million in India's oil exploration and production sector in the next five years.

PTI


First Published: Wednesday, September 7, 2011, 18:23


Comments


comments powered by Disqus
PM Narendra Modi in France
PM Narendra Modi in France
PM Modi`s Make in India push in Germany
PM Modi`s Make in India push in Germany
Renault Lodgy MPV
Renault Lodgy MPV
Apple Watch: Worldwide preview
Apple Watch: Worldwide preview
2015 New York Auto Show
2015 New York Auto Show

Web Wrap
Contact Us : Privacy Policy : Legal Disclaimer
Copyright © Zee Media Corporation Ltd. All rights reserved