Know the key features of new refurbished train coaches...
Zee Media Bureau
Enhancing passenger amenities coupled with adequate fire safety measures, railways on Monday unveiled refurbished coaches with aesthetically appealing and improved interior furnishings.
A number of new features have been incorporated in the design of these rakes, major ones are as follows:
1. Aesthetically appealing toilet modules provided with enhanced passenger amenities - big mirror, platform washbasin, controlled discharged water tap, odour control system, exhaust fan, LED lights, dustbin inside the toilet to name a few.
2. Ergonomically designed Ladders for climbing up to upper berths provided in all sleeper coaches.
3. Snack tables provided for side berth passengers also with innovative design side lower berth arrangement.
4. Windows with powered venetian blind provided in FAC coaches and roller blind in ACCW coaches instead of conventional curtains.
5. Composite panels without visible screws and minimum maintenance hatches inside passenger area for better safety and aesthetics.
6. Provision of dust bin in all coaches.
7. Enhanced scale of light fittings including berth reading lights in GSCN Coaches and embarking light in all classes of coaches.
8. LED based berth indicators for reserved coaches provided to assist passengers boarding train in night.
9. Provision of Passenger Address system & Passenger Information System in all the coaches.
10. The scale of mobile/ laptop charging points have been increased in all classes of coaches.
11. Use of superior material for panels in terms of toxicity index and fire retardation.
12. Use of LED Lighting to minimize power consumption and more service durability.
13. Shifting of electrical junction points from passenger area to non-passenger area in a centralised distribution board for enhanced safety.
14. Use of e-beam cables and polyamide conduits for enhanced electrical and fire safety.
15. Provision of fire extinguisher in all coaches.
16. Provision of electrically operated chimney in Pantry Car.
17. Stainless steel panelling in Luggage Compartment of SLR.
18. Besides above, exterior and interior colour scheme of the coaches has also been changed to impart more pleasing feel to passengers.
Average cost of upgrade of a Non AC coach is approximately 16 lakhs and for AC coach is approx. 22 lakhs. Taking price escalation into account present additional cost of upgrade would be around Rs 18 lakhs for Non AC coach and Rs 25 lakhs for an AC coach approx. 87 coaches are further planned for turning out in the year 2016-17 under the existing contract.