New Delhi: The CBI on Friday opposed in a Delhi court the bail plea of former Telecom Minister A Raja, arrested for his alleged role in the 2G spectrum allocation case on February 2 last year, saying there is a new allegation that he got Rs 200 crores as bribe and it is being probed.
CBI prosecutor A K Singh opposed Raja's bail plea saying there is a new allegation that he has received Rs 200 crores as bribe and this is being investigated.
"I am strongly opposing the bail plea. This accused (Raja) and other public servants are also involved in other tranche of Rs 200 crore which they have received as bribe and this was not known earlier and has come up during the investigation," Singh told Special CBI Judge O P Saini.
The court reserved its order on Raja's bail plea for May 15 after hearing the arguments from Raja's counsel and that of the CBI.
"Arguments on the bail plea heard. Put up for orders on May 15," the judge said.
Senior advocate Ramesh Gupta, who appeared for Raja, told the court that the former telecom minister should be granted bail as all the other co-accused in the case have been granted it, either by the Supreme Court or the Delhi High Court or the trial court.
Referring to the Supreme Court's order granting bail to co-accused and former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura, Gupta said the apex court has not distinguished the case of a public servant from others.
"The Supreme Court (in the order granting bail to Behura) had declined to distinguish the case of the public servant from others. Raja is no longer a minister or near the department (DoT).
He is in custody for the longest period and record indicates that he was the most co-operative among the accused during the course of trial," Gupta said while pressing for Raja's bail.
First Published: Friday, May 11, 2012, 08:51