Cabinet approves Rs 1,000 per month minimum pension
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Union Cabinet on Friday approved the proposal to ensure Rs 1,000 minimum monthly pension under the pension scheme run by retirement fund body EPFO, which would immediately benefit 28 lakh pensioners.
The decision to ensure Rs 1,000 minimum pension under Employees' Pension Scheme-95 will immediately benefit about 28 lakh pensioners including five lakh widows. There are about 44 lakh pensioners.
Earlier this month the Employees' Provident Fund Organisation's (EPFO) trustees had approved the proposal to provide an entitlement of minimum monthly pension of Rs 1,000.
The Central Board of Trustees (CBT), the apex decision making body of EPFO had met on February 5, and decided to amend the EPS-95 scheme for the purpose.
The government would have to provide an additional amount of Rs 1,217 crore to ensure the minimum pension of Rs 1,000 starting 2014-15.
Pensioners will get benefit with effect from April 1 this year. The proposal has already been approved by the Finance Ministry.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cortana for Android available for public beta in US
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Vs Redmi 2 Prime: Specification comparisons
- Middle class woes to continue, wholesale onion price shoots up to Rs 57 per kg
- Alleged land encroachment in Greater Noida: HC asks DM to decide representation in 3 months
- Watch: Review of Mahindra TUV300