New Delhi: Former Telecom Secretary Siddarth Behura, a key accused in the 2G scam, on Tuesday told the JPC that he had found advancing the cut-off date to grant licenses as unusual and had raised the issue with the then Telecom Minister A Raja.
Behura, who appeared before the Joint Parliamentary Committee examining the 2G issue, told the panel that he had found the decision to change the cut-off date from October 30, 2007 to September 25, 2007 taken before he joined the department, as unusual and had taken it up with Raja.
He is also learnt to have told the Committee that major decisions like revision in cut-off date, acceptance of the TRAI recommendations by the Telecom Commission and re-interpretation of the first come first serve policy took place before he took up the postin 2008.
Behura, who is out on bail, said that during his meetings with the Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister and the Cabinet Secretary he got the impression that the 2G license issue had been settled.
He is also learnt to have said that no major policy decisions were taken during his tenure.
Behura was the Telecom Secretary between January 1, 2008, and September 30, 2009. He had appeared before the Public Accounts Committee examining the CAG report on 2G on December 7, 2010.
The JPC had decided to summon Behura and Raja on March 21. It is yet to decide on Raja's appearance to give oral evidence.
Behura was arrested on February 2 last year by CBI along with Raja and his personal secretary R K Chandolia on charges of cheating, forgery, criminal conspiracy and criminal misconduct.
Behura was lodged in Tihar jail and a local court before being granted bail by the Supreme Court in May.
First Published: Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 09:12