I-T refund scam being probed by CBI: Govt
New Delhi: A refund scam in the Income Tax department, where the user IDs of retired officers were misused, has been referred to the CBI for detailed investigation, the government said on Thursday.
"Unauthorised issue of refund of income tax has been detected wherein the user ID of retired officers was misused to issue fraudulent refunds," Minister of State for Finance S S Palanimanickam told in a written reply in Rajya Sabha.
He was replying to a question on whether a huge scam in refund of I-T has been detected in the Income Tax department by using login IDs and passwords of retired officials of the department by present officials.
"The matter has been referred to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for detailed investigation," he said.
The minister said some measures have also been taken to curb the problem.
"Automatic transfer of PAN from one assessing officer to another has been disabled and the user ID of an employee will be automatically disabled on his date of superannuation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission recommends 23.55% hike in salary for central govt employees; minimum salary set at Rs 18,000 per month
- Shocking fact of pay 'hike' in 7th Pay Commission recommendations!
- Full Report of 7th Pay Commission
- Unbelievable! Clean and healthy meals on Indian Railways at just Rs 20
- E-commerce war: Paytm Diwali sale offers 100% cashback on 25 million products