BSE Sensex tanks over 300 points, dips below 19,200
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: The BSE benchmark Sensex declined by over 300 points in mid-session trade Tuesday due to selling by funds and speculators as rupee slumped to a new all-time low amid a weak trend at the Asian markets.
The 30-share barometer, which had gained 11.84 points in yesterday's volatile session, fell by 311.66 points to 19,129.
Similarly, the wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty declined by 82.80 points to 5,795.
Brokers said selling by participants, triggered by a weakening rupee which plunged to fresh record low of 58.90 against the dollar, heightening inflation worries and a weak trend on Asian bourses following overnight weakness on the US market, dampened the sentiment here.
In the Asian region, Hong Kong's Hang Seng index fell by 0.90 percent, while Japan's Nikkei Index edged shed 0.82 percent. The US Dow Jones Industrial Average ended 0.06 per cent lower yesterday.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cortana for Android available for public beta in US
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Vs Redmi 2 Prime: Specification comparisons
- Middle class woes to continue, wholesale onion price shoots up to Rs 57 per kg
- Alleged land encroachment in Greater Noida: HC asks DM to decide representation in 3 months
- Watch: Review of Mahindra TUV300