Rupee down 17 paise against dollar in early trade
Mumbai: The rupee on Monday lost 17 paise to 62.02 against the dollar in early trade on the Interbank Foreign Exchange market due to month-end demand of the US currency from importers.
Forex dealers said dollar strengthening against other currencies in the global market also put pressure on the rupee but sustained rise in domestic equities capped the fall.
The domestic currency had closed higher by 31 paise at 61.85 on Friday after a rally in local equities and fresh sales of the US currency by exporters.
Meanwhile, the BSE benchmark Sensex rose by 100.86 points, or 0.48 percent, at 21,294.44 in early trade today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission recommends 23.55% hike in salary for central govt employees; minimum salary set at Rs 18,000 per month
- Shocking fact of pay 'hike' in 7th Pay Commission recommendations!
- Full Report of 7th Pay Commission
- Unbelievable! Clean and healthy meals on Indian Railways at just Rs 20
- E-commerce war: Paytm Diwali sale offers 100% cashback on 25 million products