Rupee down 19 paise at 60.25 against dollar
Mumbai: The rupee lost 19 paise to 60.25 against the US dollar in early trade Thursday on the Interbank Foreign Exchange market due to appreciation of the US currency overseas.
Forex dealers said apart from month-end demand for the American currency from importers, dollar's gains against other currencies overseas amid US data showing more-than-expected economic growth in the second quarter also put pressure on the local unit.
They said a lower opening in the domestic equity market also weighed on the rupee.
The domestic currency had gained 7 paise to close at over two-week high of 60.06 against the dollar yesterday in line with the recovery in local equities.
Meanwhile, the benchmark BSE Sensex was down 33.59 points, or 0.13 percent, to 26,053.83 in early trade today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cortana for Android available for public beta in US
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Vs Redmi 2 Prime: Specification comparisons
- Middle class woes to continue, wholesale onion price shoots up to Rs 57 per kg
- Alleged land encroachment in Greater Noida: HC asks DM to decide representation in 3 months
- Watch: Review of Mahindra TUV300