Rupee down 21 paise against dollar to 61.48
Mumbai: The rupee Monday fell by 21 paise to 61.48 in early trade on the Interbank Foreign Exchange market due to fresh dollar demand from banks and importers, amid strengthening of the US currency overseas.
Forex dealers said besides dollar gaining against other currencies in the global markets, increased demand for the American currency from importers also influenced the rupee.
They said, however, a higher opening in the domestic equity market capped the fall.
The rupee had lost 4 paise to close at 61.27 against the dollar on Friday.
The BSE benchmark Sensex rose 57.56 points, or 0.28 per cent, to trade at 20,940.45 in early trade today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cortana for Android available for public beta in US
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Vs Redmi 2 Prime: Specification comparisons
- Middle class woes to continue, wholesale onion price shoots up to Rs 57 per kg
- Alleged land encroachment in Greater Noida: HC asks DM to decide representation in 3 months
- Watch: Review of Mahindra TUV300