Rupee sheds 23 paise against dollar
Mumbai: The rupee declined by 23 paise to 53.10 against the dollar in early trade on Thursday at the Interbank Foreign Exchange market on increased demand for the American currency from importers.
Forex dealer said increased demand for the American currency from oil importers and dollar's gains against other currencies overseas mainly put pressure on the local unit.
A higher opening in the equity market, however, capped rupee's losses, they added.
Meanwhile, the BSE benchmark Sensex rose by 51.50 points, or 0.28 percent, to 18,662.27.
The rupee had ended flat at 52.87 against the US dollar in yesterday's trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cortana for Android available for public beta in US
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Vs Redmi 2 Prime: Specification comparisons
- Middle class woes to continue, wholesale onion price shoots up to Rs 57 per kg
- Alleged land encroachment in Greater Noida: HC asks DM to decide representation in 3 months
- Watch: Review of Mahindra TUV300