Citigroup sued for fraud over $1 billion of CDOs
Citigroup is accused of defrauding Loreley into purchasing "fraudulent investments that are now worthless," Loreley said in a complaint filed Tuesday in New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan.
Citi used the CDOs to offload the risks of toxic mortgage-backed securities on its books and to help preferred clients "short" the housing market, the lawsuit claims.
Danielle Romero-Apsilos, a spokeswoman for Citigroup, said in an email, "We believe the suit is without merit."
Loreley Financing is a group of special-purpose entities formed to invest in CD0s. The entities are organized under the laws of Jersey in the Channel Islands.
The entities, whose claims include fraud and unjust enrichment, are seeking at least USD 965 million paid for the notes and buybacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cortana for Android available for public beta in US
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Vs Redmi 2 Prime: Specification comparisons
- Alleged land encroachment in Greater Noida: HC asks DM to decide representation in 3 months
- Watch: Review of Mahindra TUV300
- 7th Pay Commission recommends 23.55% hike in salary for central govt employees; minimum salary set at Rs 18,000 per month